Friday, June 12, 2009

The importance of WHEN to eat!!!!



This is an interesting topic in that people don't often think about the timing of nutrition. WHEN to eat during the day is absolutely vital to your goals in losing weight as well as overall health in general!

Allow me to share with you this important factor that is often misunderstood when it comes to good health: eating about 5 or 6 small meals every 2-3 hours is VERY important for a healthy metabolism. Because I am a self-made guinea pig, here's what I learned by observation: I am thinner than I was a year and a half ago, and it isn't just due to exercise. I have don't experience the "fat happys" others often do when I eat...you know, that thing that happens when you eat a lot of food and then want to take a nap, like I used to do. Even when I consume something like PASTA which is LOADED with carbs, instead of crashing, I feel energized.
Research shows that irregular meal frequency leads to changes in daily energy intake and negative metabolic effects that absolutely contribute to obesity and insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes is the proof of the matter).
The very first meal of the day needs to be breakfast. The body is in a catabolic state when one awakens, so the body needs fuel to operate correctly. This catabolic state is basically your body fueling itself off of your own muscle, so protien, whether in solid food or whey/soy is vital to reverse this state. Because either soy or whey protein shakes are absorbed rapidly, they are probably your best bet to getting protein fast. I don't know about you, but when I drink a protein shake, my energy level soars, in a good way...better than coffee! AND as an added bonus, protein helps you feel full.
There must be a balance of proteins, carbs and fats in a person's diet. Not all fats are bad (monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats, as well as fats from fish, nuts, olive oil and grains are good for you) and not all complex carbs are good for you. REFINED carbs, like commercial pasta, while complex, are bad for you. Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are good complex carbs.



No comments:

Post a Comment